Sunday, July 10, 2011

What's New with ME??

*Sigh*

Of course, it's been a minute. I know I say that every time I begin, but it's true...I haven't been feeling inspired to blog lately. But just to give an update, here what's new with me.

So allow me to go back a couple of months. I recently had a hysterectomy...May 18, 2011 to be exact. I had been suffering with uterine fibroids for several years. For the past year, they had gotten bigger in size and was causing me extreme pain and bleeding. So much bleeding to the point of having to get blood transfusions because my hemoglobin levels would drop. I would bleed for weeks and weeks on end. It was horrible to say the least. I was taking two vicodin every 6-7 hours for the pain. Motrin didn't work as well anymore.

The fibroids had my uterus stretched out like a 5-6 month pregnant woman, like 20 cm. My doctors suggested that I get a hysterectomy, after failed attempts of hormone replacement and a Uterine Artery Embolization to shrink them. Of course, I did not want to have my uterus removed. I wanted to have kids! My OB/GYN said that removing the fibroids wouldn't help because my uterus would not be healthy and viable to carry a child. After much consideration, praying and meditating, I finally became at peace with my decision to have the hysterectomy. I had some spells of depression because I wanted to have my OWN children. My life was about to change. The surgery was a success! Thank you God! I no longer have periods!!! and there is NO MORE PAIN! It will be 8 weeks since the surgery on July 18th. For the most part, I am at the end of my road to recovery. No more soreness or pain from the surgery...I feel great! I'm moving on the next chapter/phase of my life.

In the meantime during all of this, May 6, 2011, I get laid off from my job of 7 years...(not necessarily a bad thing). Another life changing event is going on, and it seems like my world is being turned upside down. Being laid off was a blessing in disguise on different levels. I had been unhappy in my job for several years and it was time to get out. So the lay-off was God's way of telling me: I have something better for you. It's time to MOVE. So I gladly accepted this and I have been stress free since! I received a severance package and medical benefits to May 31st. I have been receiving unemployment and it's been all good. Relaxing, gaining clarity, soul searching and just chilling as I enjoy my summer and look for employment.

On a more lighter note...

Loving my hair! It's growing like wild fire. The color is dulling out and it needs to be touched up. I just been too lazy to do it. *shrugs* Lately I've been battling extreme dryness post-surgery. So I've been using SheaMoisture Curling Enhancing Smoothie (Super Target) and it's wonderful for my hair. I'm also using shea butter, olive oil, and an essential oil mixture too and it helps a lot. I am a little bored with the style so I've been trying to do some different things. I have added some flat twists to the front, going in different directions depending on how I feel that day, just to give it a little variation. But I eventually want to get some Senegalese twists or box braids to give my hair (and myself) a break. My $$ is kinda low so I don't know if spending $160 on braids is a financially smart thing to do right now. We'll see...

I found a job last week :)...Yes! I found a position on Craigslist (go figure) as a Relationship Consultant. Sounds cool huh? Well, it's sales. The company is SinglesPlus, a matchmaking service (not online dating i.e. match.com) that matches singles up with other singles based on compatibility. I will be calling clients who've filled out an online profile and trying to get them to set an appointment for the consultation and sign up to become a member. I don't see clients in person, I only speak with them over the phone. This is definitely outside my comfort zone because I normally don't do sales. I had some doubt at first, but I decided to go for it and try it out anyway..I need a challenge at something different, so why not? Plus, it's about 15 min away from home and the hours are great, 8am-4pm. Also the commission is 10% with a base pay. The downside is there are no benefits :-( Do I see myself doing this for 7 years? Uh no, three years tops. This is transition job for me until I get where I want to be.

What else? Let's see.....Oh, I'm in the process of writing a script/pilot for a t.v. show. YES!!! A t.v. show about the proprietary school industry, the life of those who work in a vocational school and the ups and downs that go along with it. It is called "Non-Transferable". I lived that life for 7 years, and I know the craziness that goes on behind the daytime commercials seen on t.v. And who else is better to tell the story than me? That industry a monster and the world needs to know exactly what happens from both the student prospective but more importantly the employee perspective. Yes some students' lives are changed for the better, but also, there are a lot of students who get the short end of the stick. I think that the idea will sell because there isn't anything out there on television that tells the story of the trade/vocational school industry. It's a project in the making, and I'm learning a lot. Writing this pilot is not as easy as it sounds, but I really want to see this project come to fruition more than anything right now. I will not give up until it does!

That's about it for me. Now just looking forward to making money on my new job. I really want to be successful at it. I just hope I do well :-). I'm motivating myself and staying positive!

Peace & Love,
Naturalistaglam

No comments:

Post a Comment