Sunday, January 04, 2015

My Evolution of Self-Love

Loving yourself and knowing who you truly are is essential to living a happy life. The world will subliminally try to tell you who you are and fill you with thoughts of insecurities.

As a child, pre adolescents, I thought I was ugly. I felt ugly and didn't think I was smart. When my mom was angry about something I did (or didn't do) her words were demeaning and hurtful, to say the least. For the years, I thought I was dumb. My self-esteem was shot.

By the time I was 12, a more confident me began to emerge. Partly because I had a lil boyfriend who worshipped the ground I walked on. At 13, we relocated to Atlanta, and I joined the dance team in the 8th grade. I no longer felt like a ugly duckling...my body was rapidly changing and boys were liking me lol. If that's not a self-esteem booster for a young teenage girl, I don't know what is.

As an adult in my 30's, I realized I there was work to do on myself. I did a lot of self discovery, and I had to undo a lot of what was done to me as a child. Journaling, speaking words of affirmation, reading self help, and inspirational books helped me to embrace all my flaws. I didn't allow my past to define the woman was or wanted to be.

My wish is that every little girl who feels less than, inadequate, unpretty, finds their beautiful self and celebrate it in every way. I want all girls to know that they are smart and capable of accomplishing whatever is in their hearts. 

Love & Light,
Shan

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing you most intimate moments. It made me smile because I can relate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your are most welcome! Thank you for replying. :-)

      Delete