Tuesday, March 09, 2010

OLD MUSIC MONDAY (THE R.I.P. EDITION)


ONE WORD.....AALIYAH....Meaning? Arabic for exalted one, most high. Also know as "Babygirl." I love Aaliyah. She embodied talent, poise, beauty, grace and humility. Aaliyah was one of those artist you just wonder, 'what if she was still here?' 'Where would her career be now?' Honestly, I get a little sad when I see that "Rock the Boat" video. That was the video she was shooting right before her airplane crashed in the Bahamas. I cried when I heard about the untimely passing of rising star.

Okay I won't end this on a somber note, so on the the old school song of the week. It is......
"ARE YOU THAT SOMEBODY."
*"...sometimes I'm goody goody, right now I'm naughty naughty..."*


Aaliyah, was born in Brooklyn, NY and rasied in Detroit, MI. She started off in the music industry at an early age. She appeared on Star Search at nine, and sang alongside Gladys Knight when she was 11. Then Aaliyah was signed to Jive Records at 12 years old with the help of her uncle Barry Hankerson who was a music industry executive. At 14 she released her first album, Age Ain't Nothing but a Number in 1994.
We all know the story of her and R.Kelly and how they were married when she was 15 years old and he was 27. Supposedly, it was later annulled in 1995. Her uncle introduced the two, and R. Kelly was a mentor to Aaliyah. Well I  guess one thing let to another....moving right along...Aaliyah went on to release her second album, One in a Million, that had uber producers Jermaine Dupri, Timbaland and Missy Elliot. In 1998, Are You That Somebody was released and was also on the Dr. Doolittle soundtrack.
I didn't see the movie "Queen of the Damned." I'm not into vampires and such, but I think I'm going to rent it just because Aaliyah is in it. But I saw "Romeo Must Die" and I love her in that movie.




This song really brings back memories for me. I remember the summer. I was in Atlanta (my second home) for my best friend's wedding. The weather was hot but song was hotter, you heard it every 30 minutes on the radio. I loved the beat and danced every time it came on.

I will say, Aaliyah influenced me. I wanted my hair like her, I wanted to dance like her and I wanted those abs! LOL (Well a girl can wish can she?) The video? Aww man that was it for me. I love the choreo to this day! First she dances  hip-hop in sweat pants, slightly hanging off her butt, and tennis shoes. Then at the end, she's in a double high split skirt, high heels with a fan doing some type of latin dance (can't remember the style). OMG...How dope is that??? You would have never expected it...Aaliyah was ONE in a MILLION.


{Remember the baby crying in the hook? Timbaland......don't you know he is the man?}




REST   IN   PEACE   BABYGIRL!! Better known as Aaliyah. I MISS YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9GEfpgbfiQ


Aaliyah Dana Haughton


(January 16, 1979 – August 25, 2001)







Aaliyah
Aaliyah




AaliyahAaliyah




































































Peace & Love,
ShanTheNaturalistaGlam

No comments:

Post a Comment