Tuesday, February 23, 2010

OLD MUSIC MONDAY!! (a day late)

Okay so I missed another Monday! Just like the name says, 'the life and times of the Naturalistaglam'. Yesterday was so busy, I didn't have time to much of nothing! Nevertheless, I'm here still to give you the Old Music Monday joint of the week!
My first hip-hop OMM is a group that I love! Their style has set them apart from any other rap act in the industry. The verbage and lyrical word play has made hip-hop heads go cop their music every times they drop something new. Also they are one of the first southern to go mainstream, coming out of the durty durty south, is none other than the group OUTKAST!  The Old Music Monday (I know it's Tuesday) song is "PLAYER'S BALL"
*All the playas came, from far and wide, wearing afros and shades, kicking them gangsta ride. Now I'm here tell ya, there's a better day, when the playas ball is happenin' all day every day.*


Ah yeah, those were the days...."Southernplaylisticadillacmuzik" dropped in 1994, I was in college 20 years old and I knew these boys from Atlanta were the shit. I like their vibe and flow. Outkast did their thing, Andre (now Andre 3000) and Big Boi has some serious skills. I love the way they have evolved and grown but still have maintain true to who they are as artists. 'Dre and Big Boi have their own personal style which compliments each other. 'Dre is more free-spirited, eclectic and outside the box, whereas Big Boi gives you that down home southern cookin'.
Dre (Andre Benjamin) and Big Boi (aka Antwan Patton) met at Tri-Cities High School in Atlanta. Big Boi was from East Point and Dre came out of College Park. In the early 90's they teamed up to make music but didn't really have much money for studio time. In 1993 they signed with LaFace Records and their music was produced by Organized Noise Production. The debut album "Southernplayerlisticadillacmuzik" birth the hits, "Get Up, Get Out" and the title track along with "Player's Ball." Remember the video? I do! It reminds me of the days when I lived in Atlanta from '87-'92, especially the scenes where Dre is rapping in the woods surrounded by the Georgia pine trees...love it! When Outkast came on the scene I was so happy that Atlanta was being represented properly in hip-hop. OUTkast put the south on the map for real! 


Peace and Love,
ShanTheNaturalistaGlam

No comments:

Post a Comment